Pilea unites more than 4 hundred types and is a part of the Urticaceae family. Among numerous types, it is possible to meet both annuals, and perennials, they are presented by grassy plants and semi-bushes. In nature, they meet in tropic latitudes of all planet, except Australia.
Features of Pilea
Pilea represents a hardy plant, in height the reaching 0.4 m and possessing decorative foliage. This plant is grown up most often in winter gardens, warm flower beds, and show-windows. Kady’s Pilea differs from other types in very rapid growth that is of special value for flower growers who apply it during the device of compositions from various flowers. Small same-sex flowers are most often collected in brushes.
The plant extends the fruits in an extremely unusual way which is similar in the mechanism to ejection. By the time of fructification sterile stamens strongly expand and only slightly support the fruit hanging over them. At the ripened fruit communication with a plant strongly weakens. At this time sterile stamens are straightened and throw back a fruit on the distance to hundred meters.
Short description of cultivation
- Blossoming. It is observed in June-October, but flowers are not of high decorative value. In house conditions of Pilea raise as a decorative and deciduous plant.
- Illumination. A large amount of bright diffused light is necessary. Do not allow hit on a flower of direct beams of the sun.
- Temperature condition. For all year air temperature in the room has to be about 25 degrees. But there are types to which in winter time it is more comfortable at a temperature about 10 degrees. However, most part of types can suffer at the decrease in temperature to 17 degrees and below.
- Watering. During the spring and summer period, the flower needs to provide such mode of watering that soil mix in a pot was slight all the time. To winter time watering is carried out only when the substrate in-depth dries out on 1/5 part.
- The humidity of the air. It has to be raised. Experts advise near a flower to put the open vessels filled with water or it is possible to pour damp pebble into a pallet. It is impossible to humidify foliage.
- Fertilizer. Carry out 1 time in 7 days to the spring and summer period of fertilizing and use for this purpose mineral complex fertilizers for decorative and deciduous plants. In the winter the number of fertilizing reduce to 1 time in 4 weeks.
- Dormant period. It is observed in October-February.
- Change. Replace a flower every year at the beginning of the vegetative period.
- Soil mix. It has to be humus subacidic or neutral reaction. Sand, peat, the humous and cespitose soil in equal parts has to be its part.
- Reproduction. Cherenkovany and seeds.
- Mean insects. Mealy scales, web pincers.
- Diseases. Problems with foliage of Pilea can arise only if incorrectly look after her.
Care of Pilea in house conditions
Pilea needs bright, but diffused light. Direct beams of the sun should not get on a bush. Best of all the western or east window sill is suitable for cultivation of such flower. If you decided to put it on the southern window, then surely provide it diffused light or it is possible to move away from him deep into rooms.
In summertime the plant can be moved to the street, at the same time for it it is necessary to choose such place which will be reliably protected from direct beams of the sun. Remember that in cold season also needs a large amount of light if it will be not enough, then the color of foliage of a bush can exchange that will negatively affect its decorative effect.
The flower during the whole year best of all grows at a temperature of about 25 degrees. In winter time of Pilea of Kadiyer perfectly grows at a temperature up to 15 degrees, and Pilea ― at 10 degrees. If you grow up other types, then remember what in the room where there is a bush, should not be colder than 17 degrees. In the winter the draft can become a plant cause of death.
During the spring and summer period substrate is moistened right after its top layer dries out. For this purpose, it is necessary to use well-settled water. To cold season watering is carried out two days later after drying-out of the top layer of a soil mix. Pilea belongs to those plants which transfer redrying of an earth lump much easier, than stagnation of liquid in the substrate. You watch that substrate in capacity was constantly a little wet. At excessively plentiful watering foliage can fade and wither, especially in cold season.
The houseplant needs the increased humidity of the air, in this regard, it is necessary to watch humidity level indoors. It is extremely undesirable to humidify foliage from a spray as because of it it can lose the decorative effect. For an increase in humidity, the pot with a flower should be put on the pallet filled with the moistened pebble or expanded clay. However, you watch that the bottom of capacity did not adjoin to liquid. Instead of a flower, it is possible to put the open vessel filled with water.
During the spring and summer period fertilizing of a flower carry out regularly 1 time in 7 days, and to autumn and winter time ― 1 time in 4 weeks. For this purpose use complex mineral for window plants, the concentration of nutritious mix has to be such what is recommended by the producer.
At cultivation grows in room conditions quickly enough. As young bushes are much more effective old, annually it is necessary to carry out cutting, at the same time the cut-off stalks need to be used as shanks. For an increase in a splendor of a bush and to avoid its stripping, it is necessary to carry out a nipping of stalks systematically.
Change of Pilea
The house plant should be replaced every year. For this purpose use the humus earth of subacidic or neutral reaction. So, it is possible to take soil mixture, consisting of the humous and cespitose soil and also sand and peat (they are taken in equal shares). As the flower possesses a superficial root system, for a change it is necessary to use a small pot. To avoid stagnation of liquid in the substrate, at the bottom of capacity it is necessary to make a good drainage layer. If desired it is possible to grow up on hydroponics.
Ways of reproduction
It is possible to multiply Pilea shanks and in a seed way. A part of species of such plant breeds seeds independently. If you decided to multiply it shanks, then it will be possible to make it at all seasons of the year. On rooting shanks place in the container with water or land in the sand (friable substrate). After rooting shanks put in the small pot filled to a soil mixture, consisting of the greenhouse and deciduous earth, and sand (1:1:1).
If it is wrong to take care of flower, then with it problems can begin:
- Foliage dries up and flies. If in the room 12 degrees are colder or 27 degrees are warmer, then wrinkling, drying up of sheet plates is observed. Still, it can happen because of redrying of an earth lump.
- Leaves fade. If in substrate liquid regularly stands, then it can become the reason for the emergence of sluggish foliage, later time it will become black and will fly, escapes at the same time will become soft.
- Leaves turn pale. Excessively intensive lighting can be the cause that foliage will become faded, sluggish and a little transparent. At the same time, its edge dries and becomes brown. Because of excessively poor lighting the edge of sheet plates will also turn brown and dry up, at the same time they lose the effective color, and young leaves grow small, stalks become extended.
- Specks on leaves. As a result of the impact on a bush of direct beams of the sun, on foliage, the solar burns looking as yellow specks can be formed, over time they become brown.
- Loss of foliage. If fly only about the lower sheet plates, then it is quite normal and connected with the aging of a plant. In this case, it is recommended to cut off several shanks from a bush and to grow up from them a young plant.
- Mean insects. On leaves trips, mealy scales, web pincers can lodge.
Plant species with a photo and names
Sort this view from tropical forests of Southeast Asia. The height of such grassy perennial can be about 0.4 m. Naked and juicy stalks strongly branch. Effective petiolar it is extended – oval sheet plates are pointed to the top and possess three streaks. Length of leaves is about 20 centimeters, and width ― 5 centimeters. It is connected with the fact that on a surface of saturated-green or bluish-green foliage there are a couple of dash lines of a silvery color. During blossoming, there are brushes consisting of small florets. Young harmonious escapes begin to curl over time, the type of an ampelous form, as a result, turns out. In order that the bush was more magnificent, a systematic nipping will be necessary for it.
The height of such grassy perennial is about 15 centimeters. The branching stalks possess magnificent foliage if they adjoin to the surface of the soil, then quickly take root. Branches are externally similar from a fern Vayama, they are beautifully bent and have a large number of small naked greenish leaflets of oval and round shape, their length does not exceed 5 mm. Shchitkovidny inflorescences are formed in sheet bosoms, heterosexual and both sexes small florets are their part. If in the summertime to concern a flower, then it will release a pollen smoke.
Such grassy perennial possesses the stalks creeping on the surface of the soil in length reaching about 0.4 m. Greenish round sheet plates grow by them. Over time the bush expands and forms a carpet on the surface of the soil. Pilea represents a low bush which height does not exceed 0.3 m. Upright escapes. Suprotivnoraspolozhenny oval sheet plates have a point on a top and in length reach about 70 mm. Greenish leaves lengthways streak hilly brown. This look is widely applied to hybridization.
The plant represents a low bush which height does not exceed 0.3 m. Upright escapes. Suprotivnoraspolozhenny oval sheet plates have a point on a top and in length reach about 70 mm. Greenish leaves lengthways streak hilly brown. This look is widely applied to hybridization.
The flower possesses a rigid stalk and roundish sheet plates. Pilea of the bush having creeping escapes, about 25 centimeters. Suprotivnoraspolozhenny smooth roundish sheet plates in length reach up to 25 mm and have a wavy edge. A front surface of plates dark green with a copper shade, and back ― purple.
Sort such plant from Peru and Venezuela. The sheet plates of ovoid or rounded shape developed by 180 degrees on a top can be stupid or pointed. Foliage color ― various shades of bronze or silvery color.
The height of upright escapes is about 0.3 meters. Suprotivnoraspolozhenny oval sheet plates are pointed at a top and have a length to 70 mm. They are silverily wrinkled, at the same time lengthways a streak ― dark green. Also at a plate, there can be a silvery strip passing on the central vein, at the same time an edge at it dark green.
Scientists still did not find out, this form how exactly appeared. At such grassy perennial young stalks upright. On a surface of saturated-green wrinkled velvety sheet plates, there are small bristly hairs. Streaks at foliage brownish-red.
Pilea Silver Tree
Origins of this hybrid also remains a riddle. It represents the effective actively curling long-term Pilea. Oval bronze-green foliage possesses a gear edge and has the omission consisting of hairs of white or red color. On the center of a plate there passes the silvery strip, and on its surface, there is a set of spots of the same shade.