The plant a Scindapsus is a part of the Aroids family. It has the very original form of a leaf: one of the halves is larger than another because of what the central vein not direct, but a little curved. Sites between veins – convex, therefore, the leaf surface to the touch and visually too, seems relief as if the sculptor created by hands. The surface of a leaf is decorated by dabs of silvery shades. is part of the family Araceae.
This genus includes about 25 species, which are represented by vines. In the wild, they grow in the tropical forests of Southeast Asia. The name of the genus was derived from the Greek word “skindapsos”, which translates as “ivy-like tree”. Quite often, inexperienced growers confuse the vine Scindapsus with Epipremnum the fact that these plants belong to the same family of Araceae and have a striking similarity.
The brief description of growing money plant
- Flowering. The money plant is grown as a decorative foliage plant.
- Illumination. Partial shade or shadow (from the window of the southern orientation of the flower should stand at a distance of two meters). Variegated varieties need more light than those that have green foliage.
- Temperature regime. During the growing season ― from 20 to 22 degrees, and in winter ― from 14 to 16 degrees.
- Irrigation. Need to be watered systematically and sparingly. Do this immediately after the soil mixture in the pot dries to 1/3 depth.
- Air humidity. It should be only slightly higher than normal (about 25 percent). The vine should be systematically moistened from the sprayer, regularly arrange a warm shower and rinse the leaves with a moistened soft cloth (sponge).
- Fertilizer. Feed the plant throughout the growing season with a periodicity of 1 every 15-20 days, for this use a complex mineral fertilizer, while from the dosage that is recommended on the package by the manufacturer, take the only ½ of it. In winter, feeding should be rarer ― 1 every 6 weeks.
- Period of rest. Approximately from the second half of November to the last days of February.
- Transplantation. While Liana is young, she needs an annual transplant. Adult plants are transplanted 1 every 2 or 3 years.
- Reproduction. By layering, by the division of the stems, and cuttings.
- Pest. Aphids, thrips, spider mites, mealybugs, and scale insects.
- Diseases. On the Bush, rot may appear, and even due to improper care or due to inappropriate conditions of detention, it loses its decorative effect.
How to care for Scindapsus
In the wild plant the money plant is a powerful vine-population that winds around tree trunks, it can rise to a height of about 15 m. the money plant as the sister plant monster is not only fibrous underground root system but also aerial roots which help the vine to climb very high and spread for thousands of meters. In Sri Lanka and Florida, this vine occupies a very large area, and because it is there are fighting as a dangerous parasite that adversely affects the environment in the region.
In-room conditions, Scindapsus is a climbing plant with a decorative mottled or rich green foliage, which is similar to the leaves of the species of philodendron. Sheet plate he sequentially located simple glossy and leathery, they form an oval. During flowering, a small inflorescence is formed outwardly similar to the corn cob, which is wrapped with stipules, like a blanket. However, grown at home Liana blooms very rarely, but it is undemanding in care.
Care money plant at home
Best of all, in the warm season, Scindapsus grows and develops at an air temperature of 20 to 25 degrees. In winter, it is necessary to ensure that the room where it is, it was not colder than 12 degrees.
This vine is one of the shade-loving plants, in this regard, it can be placed at a distance of about 200 cm from the brightly lit window. But it should be borne in mind that variegated varieties need more bright lighting than green-leaf forms, otherwise the mottled pattern on their foliage may fade or disappear altogether. If the flower is placed in a dark corner, it can lead to mass leaf fall.
Watering the plant is relatively rare and not very much water. So moisten the substrate in the pot only after the depth it dries to 1/3. If you start to water it more often or to use more water, then the roots may rot appear.
Best of all, the vine grows at slightly elevated humidity (about 25 percent). However, it can develop quite normally and at a lower level of humidity, but if you are a flower will systematically moisten the sprayer or wipe the leaves moistened with a soft cloth, it will become even more beautiful. In the warmer months, it is sometimes possible to arrange a warm shower, and in the winter months need to ensure that it is as far away from the heating devices.
For 1 year, the stems in length increase by about 0.4 meters. In this regard, to Scindapsus all the time looked neat, it is necessary to systematically carry out forming trim. If necessary, the cut parts of the shoots can be used as cuttings. And if you want a Bush you can regularly pinch back, causing him to become more branched. However, most often used for the formation of young vines support (stairs or arches). For the formation of adult bushes using a plastic pipe, in which several holes are made. It is filled with moistened sphagnum and wrapped with copra. The air roots of the plant are directed into the holes, this will allow them to obtain additional moisture and nutrients.
In spring and autumn, the vine is fed regularly 1 time in 15-20 days, and in winter the frequency of fertilizing is reduced to one in 1-2 months. To do this, use a liquid complex fertilizer in a half dose.
Transplant money plant
Young specimens need a systematic transplant, which is carried out every year. When the plant becomes an adult, it can be transplanted less often, or rather, 1 every 2 or 3 years. Transplantation is recommended at the beginning of the growing season, and this time falls on February–March.
The capacity for planting a flower is recommended to use low, but wide, in this case, it will be possible to systematically plant cuttings that are rooted in advance, thanks to this Bush will become even more lush and spectacular. The most suitable substrate for transplantation in its composition should include sand, peat, leaf and humus soil (1:1:1:1), at the same time it is recommended to add a small amount of expanded clay or perlite. Do not forget to make a good drainage layer at the bottom of the pot.
Reproduction of Scindapsus
Most growers propagated by cuttings Epipremnum. Cut during the formation of the Bush apical cuttings for rooting can be placed in a container with water or planted in the substrate, the roots they will give pretty quickly. The main conditions for successful rooting:
- on each cutting there should be 2 or 3 sheet plates;
- the air temperature should not be below 22 degrees;
- a fairly large amount of light is required.
During the harvesting of cuttings, the cut is made under the node, after that, the places of the cuts are treated with a solution of a means that stimulates the growth of roots. Then they are planted for rooting in a soil mixture consisting of sphagnum and sand. On top of the cuttings covered with a transparent plastic bag or glass jar. Roots appear after 15-20 days. More vines can be propagated by layering and division of the stem.
Diseases and pests
Scindapsus is characterized by a fairly high resistance to both diseases and harmful insects. But with the wrong care and the wrong conditions for growth and it can be a problem.
- Yellowing of the foliage. Most often this happens due to the fact that the plant suffers from a lack of nutrients. In this case, it must be fed.
- Dry the tips of the leaf plates. This happens very rarely, and only if the flower is close to a working heater and it is a very long time not moistened from the sprayer.
- Leaves flying. This is due to poor lighting and lack of food. And the cause of falling leaves can be a draft.
- There was rot on the shoots. Stems rot when the plant is in a cool place and too often and abundantly watered.
- Foliage loses its decorative. If the variegated forms of foliage become just green and there is it’s shallowing, it means that the plant does not have enough light. If the green-leafed plant’s leaf plates become faded and spots are formed on them, this suggests that the lighting is too intense.
- If the flower is struck by a fungal or viral disease, it will be very difficult to cure it. However, this plant is able to recover quickly. And it is easily propagated by cuttings, in this regard, in extreme cases, prepare cuttings from healthy shoots and just grow a new flower.
- Pests. Most often settle on the flower aphids, spider mites, thrips, and scale insects. To get rid of pests, the Bush will need to be treated with a solution of Aktellik (1 liter of water 20 drops). If necessary, you can spend up to 4 treatments with a break of 7 days.
Is it possible to grow the money plant at home?
Some growers are afraid to decorate your home money plant because the people he considered “exorcizing the husband”. So, all those plants which expel from the apartment of the husband. Believe it or not, you decide, but there are many happy families who have a husband at home and Scindapsus on the wall. If you are still afraid to start such a plant, then choose any other flower, because there are so many of them. It is interesting that the Eastern sages in this vine were seen completely different qualities: it is able to absorb laziness and stagnant energy, to soften the tense atmosphere in the apartment, to inspire creativity, and to help find a way out of the psychological impasse.
Scindapsus pictus varieties
This type is the most popular among gardeners. Grow it as a hanging plant, or climbing plants. If you decide to put it on the wall, in this case, the flower stems in length can grow up to 200 centimeters or more. Foliage in this species looks similar to philodendron, but it has a more spectacular color. On the surface of the leathery shiny foliage, painted green, there are splashes and smears of yellow color.
The stem of such a plant is angular, with time on its surface warts are formed. Leathery short-petiolate foliage of egg-shaped dark green color has a width of about 7 centimeters and a length of up to 15 centimeters. Its surface is decorated with silver stains. Best varieties and shapes:
1. The variable form of Scindapsus pictus var. argyraeus. Foliage in this form is shorter and wider than the main species. On its surface, there are small spots of the correct form.
2. Exotica. On the surface of large leaves, there are silvery long strokes and large spots.
More growers such types of Scindapsus as pinnate, forest and Siamese.
is a Modern variety of Dutch origin. While more common in private collections and greenhouses than in the home contents. Compared with other members of the genus joy is quite compact, but it is recommended to grow it also in a hanging basket, like most other vines.
N’joy has a curly stem and bright green leaves with gray-silver spots. Spots are located mainly on the edges of the leaf plates and similar to the edging.
Scindapsus Aureus Marble Queen
Marble Quinn differs in an original motley coloring of foliage in silvery-green tones. If to look narrowly at dark green leaves, it is possible to notice that on all their perimeter as though chaotic silver strokes and drops are put.
The drawing creates the “effect of the movement”. Thanks to this feature the Marble queen can be learned and allocated easily among other types. Also In leaving she is unpretentious. It is grown up in suspended cachepots or baskets. In the house, conditions do not blossom.
Among species Scindapsus suitable for indoor growing, there is still one plant with variegated leaves is asymmetrical. This is Scindapsus Siamese, originally from Southeast Asia. The fundamental difference of the culture is very large leaf plates, which seem lighter because of the abundance of silver or light green merging spots.
Rare species of Epipremnum, which pointy-arrow-shaped leaves are mottled, and smooth green. At the base of each leaf, a plate has appendages-lionfish, on both sides bordering the elongated petiole. The plant comes from Thailand and the Pacific Islands in height can reach five meters. In a pot, culture is somewhat smaller but are as unpretentious as other more common varieties and types of the money plant to grow at home.
To the collector’s rarities include Scindapsus Trouba in nature common in the territory of Java, Borneo, and Malaysia. A characteristic feature of the species – rather narrow pointed leaves with a dense leaf plate and unhurried, compared with other varieties of growth. Today at the disposal of gardeners there is an original variety with greenish-gray wax leaves, edged with a green stripe and the same Central veins. Thanks, he is not capricious disposition and slow growth of this species of Epipremnum great for decoration vivarium.
Scindapsus Pictus Exotica
This type of Scindapsus pictus exotica – result of selection propagation. It has the very original form of a leaf: one of the halves is larger than another because of what the central vein not direct, but a little curved.
Sites between veins – convex, therefore the leaf surface to the touch and visually too, seems relief as if the sculptor created by hands. The surface of a leaf is decorated by dabs of silvery shades.