The plant of Tradescantia is the representative of the family the Spiderwort family. This sort unites about 30 types. In nature, such plant meets in a tropical and moderate belt of America. The name “tradescantia” came from a name of the gardener John Tradescant, he served the English king Charles I and for the first time described this sort. In the people, such grass is called still by “Woman’s gossips”, or “stone breaking”.
Features of a tradescantia
Tradescantia ― this not really high grassy perennial plant which possesses creeping or direct stalks. Ocherednoraspolozhenny sheet plates can have various form, depending on a look it is elliptic, lanceolate or ovoid. Formation of inflorescences comes from bosoms of top sheet plates. The tradescantia is among ampelous plants which enjoy the greatest popularity at flower growers. Thanks to a regular nipping the bush becomes magnificent and branch.
Most often the pot with such flower is placed on the high shelf or in a suspended vase that long stalks could hang down freely. During blossoming on a bush floret of blue or violet-blue color are formed. The tradescantia is also applied to the decoration of aquariums. For this purpose, the flower is established so that its stalks plunged into the water of an aquarium and created a green effective rug.
Such plant differs also in medicinal properties. It promotes clarification of air in the room and also is capable to neutralize electromagnetic radiation. The cut-off branches of this plant put in water are capable to stay there for several months, and sometimes and about a year. But for this purpose, it is necessary to pour fertilizers into water regularly.
Short description of cultivation
- Blossoming. Raise a tradescantia as a decorative and deciduous plant.
- Illumination. Small shading or bright, but surely diffused light. Pay attention that poecilophyllous grades need a bigger quantity of sunlight, however, direct beams of the sun can do much harm also to them.
- Temperature condition. During the spring and summer period air temperature has to be about 25 degrees, and in cold season ― no more than 12 degrees.
- Watering. Throughout the vegetative period water plentifully and systematically, at once after drying-out of the top layer of a soil mix in a pot. During the cool wintering watering is made only when the substrate in capacity completely dries out if the flower winters in heat, then it should be watered right after the earth lump dries on ¼ part of depth.
- The humidity of the air. Well grows at the low level of humidity of air characteristic of premises.
- Fertilizer. Fertilizing carry out only to the spring and summer period regularly 1 time a half-month, at the same time the organic chemistry and mineral fertilizers is recommended to be used serially. Poecilophyllous grades it is better not to feed up organic fertilizers.
- Dormant period. It is brightly not expressed.
- Cutting. In springtime. Change. It is carried out together with cutting. Change of young bushes carries out every year, and adult copies ― 1 time in 2 or 3 years.
- Soil Mix. If desired it is possible to buy ready землесмесь for tradescantias. But also it can be made most, having connected the cespitose, deciduous and humous soil and also sand in the ratio 2:4:2:1.
- Reproduction. Division of a rhizome, cuttings and in a seed way.
- Mean insects. Tripsa and web pincers.
- Diseases. If behind a plant it is wrong to look after or not to provide it comfortable conditions for growth, then at it escapes can become bare, appear decay, and it leads to the fact that foliage becomes faded, or on it there are specks, or there are brown its tips.
- Properties. The pale tradescantia is capable to cause irritation of the skin.
Care of a tradescantia in house conditions
The tradescantia on a window sill of east or western orientation will be best of all to feel, at the same time it is necessary to consider that bright light has to be obligatory for scattered. It can well grow also on a northern window sill. At cultivation at the southern window in midday hours a flower it is necessary tarnish.
To lighting poecilophyllous forms differ in the greatest insistence. If with they lack light, then the color of sheet plates will become just green, and in case of excessively intensive lighting ― foliage burns out.
The most shade-loving look is the tradescantia with white flowers. In the summertime, the tradescantia can be transferred to a garden or on a balcony, at the same time the place for it needs to be chosen protected from drafts and direct beams of the sun.
In the summertime, such liana best of all grows at air temperature about 25 degrees. For a wintering, it best of all is suitable a cool (not higher than 12 degrees), however at good leaving it will be able well to survive the winter also in heat.
During the spring and summer period it is necessary to water a bush systematically and plentifully, however, you watch that there was no stagnation of liquid in the substrate. For watering use soft water, and carry out it later a couple of days after the top layer of a soil mix dries out.
To cold season watering is carried out through three or four days after drying of the top layer of the substrate. Constantly you watch that water did not stand in the root system of a liana as because of it can sour землесмесь.
When after watering there passes half an hour, from a pallet merge the flown-down excess water, and it is wiped with a dry rag. At a cold wintering (12–16 degrees) watering of a flower is carried out only when the earth lump in a pot completely dries out. The tradescantia is capable to do without water a long time, at the same time it will strongly weaken, but it will not lead to her death.
Humidity of air
It is not obligatory to humidify a bush from a spray, but nevertheless, in summertime regular sprayings will be useful to it.
During the spring and summer period, it is necessary to feed up a flower systematically 1 time in 14 days. It is for this purpose recommended to use organic chemistry and mineral fertilizers serially. However, at the cultivation of poecilophyllous forms, it is better to refuse the use of organic fertilizers as because of them the color of foliage can become just green. With the approach of fall of fertilizing stop, and renew only them in the spring.
At cultivation in house conditions culture quite promptly grows old and loses the former beauty. For example, it escapes can become bare. To keep the decorative effect of a liana for a long time, it is regularly necessary to carry out a nipping of stalks, and every year to do the small cutting. Also, do not forget about changes of a bush in the fresh substrate which have to be carried out in due time.
Change of a tradescantia
As a rule, replace a tradescantia in the day of cutting. Very young plants need more frequent change which is carried out once a year when they become adults, it will be possible to carry out this procedure less often (1 time in 2–3 years). Before landing at the bottom of capacity it is necessary to make a good drainage layer.
For change use soil mix the following structure: by 1 part cespitose and soil humus, 2 parts of the deciduous earth and a floor of a part of sand. If desired for a change it is possible to use the ready purchased earth mix intended for tradescantias.
After work with a tradescantia pale, it is necessary to wash hands as it can become the reason for the emergence of irritation on the skin.
Ways of reproduction
Cultivation from seeds
Seeding of seeds of a tradescantia is carried out to the first spring weeks, for this purpose used землесмесь, consisting of sand and peat. For crops, it is necessary to build mini-small greenery in which air temperature has to be maintained at the level of 20 degrees. Crops should provide systematic airing and moisten from a spray. If it is correct to look after the plant who are grown up from seeds, then their first blossoming can be seen for the third year of growth.
If you decided to multiply a liana shanks, then it is possible to make it at all seasons of the year. For this purpose, it is necessary to cut off a stalk and to cut it on the parts reaching in length from 10 to 15 centimeters. In one pot from 5 to 8 shanks land, and fill it with the substrate consisting of compost and soil humus and also sand (1:1:1).
For the best rooting, it is necessary to maintain the temperature at the level from 15 to 20 degrees. Pieces very quickly take roots, only several days later at them have to grow backs. In 6–8 weeks they will become effective bushes.
- The tradescantia badly grows. Escapes become extended, and the quantity of foliage is reduced because of the shortage of water or nutrients and also because of poor lighting.
- Leaves of a tradescantia turn green. At cultivation of poecilophyllous forms, it is necessary to watch that the flower had enough light, otherwise its foliage will become green.
- Spots on sheet plates. If the plant lacks water, then because of it its escapes will become sluggish, and on a surface of sheet plates, specks of yellow color are formed.
- The flower is extended. During the winter period escapes at a tradescantia can be extended, at the same time at their basis foliage dries and flies. In this case for rejuvenation of a bush use the implanted shanks.
- Leaves of a tradescantia at an excessively low humidity of air can become brown.
- Foliage becomes monophonic. On sheet plates, strips sometimes disappear, and they become monophonic. It happens because of too poor lighting and also if cutting or cuttings were carried out incorrectly.
Types and grades of a tradescantia with a photo and names
Tradescantia х andersoniana
This plant represents a hybrid with a tradescantia Virginia, it is created for cultivation in the open ground. Grades at this look possess direct branchy escapes. Lantsetny sheet plates have a violet-green color. Flowers of a flat form can be painted in white, pink, blue or violet color, they are collected in inflorescences which form is very similar to umbrella-shaped.
- Purewell Giant ― a color of flowers bloody-red;
- Osprey ― during blossoming decorate white inflorescences;
- Leonora ― flowers violet-blue; Iris ― blossoms magnificently blue flowers;
- G. Weguelin ― at such version flowers very big, and are painted they in a celestial-blue shade.
Either Tradescantia tricolor, or Tradescantia uiridis. A sort such plant from a tropical part of South America. It possesses creeping stalks. Naked brilliant sheet plates have is extended – an ovoid form, their width about 25 mm, and length ― up to 60 mm. Their color can be silvery and motley or green. Most often inflorescences are formed on tops of escapes but sometimes grow from sheet bosoms. Small flowers are painted in white color.
- tricolor ― on foliage are available strips of white or pinkish-lilac color;
- albovittata ― leaves decorate white strips;
- aurea ― at this grade foliage yellow with green strips;
- aureovittata ― a front surface of sheet plates decorate the golden-yellow longitudinally located strips.
In nature, the look meets in Argentina. At such grassy perennial creeping escapes are painted in greenish-red color. A form the next located of sheet plates elliptic or lanceolate, they possess the pointed top and a tubular vagina.
The width of leaves about 30 mm, and their length ― up to 80 mm, their back surface is painted in violet color, and front ― in dark green with a reddish outflow. On a surface of foliage, sheet vaginas and escapes under knots there is an omission presented by hairs of a white color.
Long pedicels grow on the ends of stalks and also from bosoms of the top sheet plates. In the bottom of an inflorescence 2 bracts of various size grow. 3 sepals and the same quantity of petals are a part of a flower. On a surface of violet sepals, there is a dense omission. On the lower part of stamens, there is an omission presented by long white hairs.
There is a kind of variegata. It on next right and also on the next left sheet plates has similar drawings from wide strips of yellow color. Patterns of the left and right leaves differ. At the wrong cutting or scrap, and because of poor lighting the pattern on foliage vanishes.
Sort from the southeast of North America. Length of knotty, direct and branchy escape is about 0.6 m. Length foliage about 20 centimeters, a sheet vagina covers escape. The diameter of pinkish-violet flowers up to 40 mm, they are brought together in top umbrella-shaped inflorescences, 2 big bracts and 3 petals are their part. Blossoming is observed in July-August. A fruit ― the box having longitudinal shutters.
- atrorubra ― a color of inflorescences blood-red;
- coerulea ― flowers blue;
- rosea ― inflorescences pink;
- rubra ― a bush decorates red flowers.
Direct escapes decorate long sheet plates on which surface there is an omission from white hairs. The color of flowers lilac-pink.
Or Tradescantia pendula. Red naked stalks can be creeping or hanging down. The width of ovoid foliage is about 50 mm, and length ― up to 100 mm. On a front surface along all sheet plate there pass a couple of strips of a silver-white color, and the lower surface at them red. Small florets are painted in purple or violet color.
Such a succulent plant in nature meets in Mexico and Peru. On creeping stalks, there is no omission. Lodochkovidny small sheet plates of an ovoid form have width about 10 mm, and length ― to 40 mm. Formations of inflorescences it is observed on a bush top, they consist of pink flowers.
Escapes with thick foliage, small green sheet plates on which surface there are strips of white or pink color. Such a plant is considered high-decorative.
The homeland of this plant in Brazil. On a surface of creeping purple-red stalks, there is a set of green specks. The form of smooth leaves ovoid, their width is up to 20 mm, and length ― about 25 mm.
- variegata ― on foliage are available strips of cream color;
- Quicksilver ― leaves decorate white strips.