This plant managed to fall in love for its unpretentiousness and unusual appearance.
ZZ plant has a large underground tuber, rather large leathery leaves covered with a wax coating. It leaves are pinnate, erect, located on thick, fleshy stalks. All parts of this plant are adapted to create water reserves in case of prolonged drought. In dollar tree flowering — this phenomenon is quite rare, especially in indoor conditions.
Features of growing ZZ plant
- Lighting: a Bright place with indirect light. In the summer prefer accommodation in the fresh air on the balcony, in the garden. In the Winter have to rearrange closer to the window.
- Watering: Moderate from spring to autumn, but the pallet should not be water in the winter watering rare. The soil should dry thoroughly until the next irrigation.
- Fertilizer: Usually, a dressing is not needed.
- Humidity: Zamioculcas zamiifolia does not require spraying the leaves, but sometimes it is necessary to arrange washing so that the plant is not dusty and does not lose its appeal. In summer, there is enough rain washing in the open air.
- Transplantation: Annually in spring. The soil should be quite nutritious. For young plants — 1 part turf land, 1 part leaf land, 1 part peat and 1 part sand. You can add a little well-rotted humus of the earth. Transplantation of old copies of Zeezee plant is carried out every two years in the spring.
- Reproduction: Division of the Bush, leaf, cuttings. Blade before planting is better to dry a little. Root cuttings or leaves preferably with soil heating and with the use of phytohormones, for better root formation. Rooting can take up to 2 months.
Care for ZeeZee Plant
As a houseplant cultivated here relatively recently. This plant is very suitable for our apartments, where Central heating creates in the apartments dry air close to the desert. Also, indoor plant is very unpretentious. It can be forgotten to water. It tolerates the bright sun and a little shading, a reasonably wide temperature range (from +12 °C degrees in winter to +30 °C and above in summer). Zeezee plant did not have to be sprayed while spraying and brings any harm.
The best place in the apartment — southern window sill, but he did not wither and, on the North side. However, in this arrangement, the leaves of the plant will be somewhat smaller, and in this case, it should be watered much less frequently. Summer flower well make it to the balcony.
To the soil in which the plant grows, there are no special requirements. The soil in the pot can be any, not clay (you can take the prepared soil mixture for cacti), but good drainage is required.
The plant grows slowly, so often it is not necessary to transplant it, but still, when filling the entire space of the pot with roots, for flower transplantation to a larger volume is very desirable. When transplanting, pay attention — the tubers do not have much to deepen into the ground. They should be slightly visible on the surface.
Feed flower fertilizers for cacti and succulents should be very careful, only during the growing season once a month, and then – not necessarily. It is better not to feed at all than to overfeed. During the rest of the winter to feed is not necessary.
Reproduction of ZZ Plant
Find the seeds in our latitudes is not possible, therefore, for the copy of zamioculcas zamiifolia in our region is possible only vegetatively. To obtain a new plant, you can use all parts of the plant.
The easiest way is to divide an adult plant. In this case, the plant is removed from the pot, split rhizome, dried. Then each part is planted in a separate container.
The second method is the separation of a complex sheet-“branches” with the kidney. The separated part is first dried and then planted in a permanent pot, while the kidney-tuber should be deepened into the ground only to the base of the sheet. Forth — the usual departure.
Finally, the most extended way is the reproduction of a single leaf blade. Separated from the plant leaf a couple of days dried, then planted in a small pot in a light sandy soil, deepening 1/3, watered and covered with a jar, regularly ventilated. The process of forming roots-tubers is very long, and new leaves have to wait about six months.
Homeland species — East Africa. From the tuberous rhizome of the plant, leaves 40-60 cm long develop, which — very rarely for representatives of the family of Araceae — are divided into 8-12 separate leaves-feathers. The axis of the leaf (rachis) is thick, juicy and serves the plant for moisture. Feathers are leathery, dense. The entire leaf resembles a sheet of plants from the genus zamia, living on the American continent, which is reflected in the name of the plant.
In the dry season, the plant can relieve the upper part of the sheet with the lobes of the feathers, which prevents excessive evaporation, while the lower part of the stem serves as a reservoir for water. And remains on the plant — the supply of water zamioculcas stores and in the strong underground root. Over time, the plant can stretch out and reach a height of 1 m.
Diseases and pests ZZ Plant
Zamioculcas zamiifolia is sick and infested by pests rarely. This is a very hardy plant, but it can be “driven” inept care. The biggest mistake is over-watering. In this case, the roots begin to rot. If such a disaster occurred, it is necessary to remove the plant from the pot, separate the decayed parts of the plant, and the remaining part is sprinkled with crushed coal, dried and transplanted into the new soil, continue to water the flower very moderately.
If the leaves turn yellow, but grow new shoots and dark spots dry, all right, the plant is healthy. Remove the yellowing leaves should be only after their complete drying.
Zamioculcas may be affected by spider mites, scale insects, aphids.
- Spider mite — appears on the underside of the leaves and envelops them with thin white cobwebs. It is destroyed by spraying and washing the leaves, especially on the lower side, with water, weak tobacco infusion, pollination (in the fresh air, outside the rooms) with ground sulfur or the plant is treated with ready-made systemic insecticides.
- Shield aphid got its name from the waxy shield, which covers the body of an adult pest. At first, at a young age, the protection is unobtrusive but quickly multiplies, including the stems and leaves with dark spots. The adults are immobile and sit under the flaps, from which larvae crawl out and crawl around the plant. Adult pests together with the shields are removed with a damp swab, but it is still necessary to treat the entire plant with insecticide or soap solution to remove the larvae.
- Aphids — small insect can be green, gray or black color. It settles on the underside of the leaf and feeds on the juice of plants, which leads to drying and folding leaves. Multiplies quickly. It is destroyed by ready-made preparations which are on sale in shops or solutions of nicotine sulfate in water with soap in a ratio of 1 gr — nicotine sulfate per 1 liter of soapy water.
You are question – Is ZZ plant poisonous to human?
A vast number of ornamental plants are considered poisonous because they contain substances that can pose a potential threat to human and animal health. Most of the representatives of the family of Araceae, including zamioculcas harmful.
This large family includes quite a large number of known indoor individuals, for example, spirillum, dieffenbachia, Scindapsus, philodendron, Epipremnum and many others. Let’s face it ZZ Plant is poisonous or not, for all living beings, whether people or animals.
Poisonous juice is found in all parts of this exotic beauty.
However, do not immediately panic and get rid of your castle. Should also not be afraid to touch the leaves and other parts. Many growers Zamioculcas zamiifolia growing at home, and they have not observed deterioration in their health.
They did not appear allergic reactions to flower, and they have not received from his burns. You need to understand that only the juice inside the plant is poisonous. The bulb itself does not emit toxic fumes that could cause poisoning or intoxication of the body.
However, since the plant is toxic, and therefore still potentially dangerous, it must be handled carefully and take some precautions. For example, wear gloves when handling hazardous samples.
Be careful and attentive, especially try to avoid harmful juice on the organs of vision, as well as avoid its penetration into the mucous parts of the body, for example, in the nasal or oral cavity.
However, if you still got poisonous juice in your eyes, rinse it abundantly with running water.
Also, watch out for children and Pets, so they do not taste the plant. Otherwise, seek medical advice immediately.
We are waiting for your comments!