Boring approach to gardening of interiors, as well as the time when plants were exposed only on a window sill, remained in the past long ago. With the active introduction of green favorites in the registration of our houses, recognition of their role in the atmosphere and a microclimate, not only the range of plants but also methods of their use began to extend.
Along with new fashion trends, the forgotten traditions and floristic receptions were restored, apparently, long ago. And one of such “remnants of the past” — flower terrariums which become fashionable and demanded again. It is a special way of use of plants in an interior it is from the Victorian era which was beyond the design of dining rooms long ago.
Terrariums for flowers and honorariums are compositions from capable to be content with the minimum resources of plants, initially — succulents landed in a special container from transparent plastic or glass. Until recently were perceived, first of all, as the placed in glass vessels for the creation of a special microclimate, whimsical and rare cultures.
But today they returned themselves former glory again. And the flower is considered already more widely again — as the single cultures or compositions from plants placed in glass capacities — landscapes in a miniature.
Use in a photo design of both houses, and office interior. They unite in themselves both art, and botany, and floriculture in a uniform unique complex which literally recreates a part of wildlife for your house. To overestimate an atmospheric of mini-terrariums, as well as their large analogs, it is impossible.
They are unique both on coziness, and on power, and on the part of an attraction of attention. The house garden behind glass or a terrarium is a self-sufficient element of gardening and can how completely to replace a collection of live plants, and to add them or to play a role of a natural decor and a magnificent accessory.
We are obliged by the revival of fashion for the flower to the American designers. They, along with the active return of vintage to interior design and a rate to natural materials, remembered also the Victorian compositions from succulents with which it is possible to decorate a dining table.
From several projects, moved on tea and coffee-tables, to living rooms and bedrooms, offices and offices, and nearly forced out large showcase from there. And in shops of masters of needlework, they even turned into the separate category of a decor. This transatlantic fashion came today and to us.
Terrarium in landscape style
Types and why for them the size — not main advantage — the special microclimate favorable for cultivation whimsical, demanding the non-standard and difficult damp environment in reconstruction. The increased humidity, full protection against drafts and jumps of temperature — really tropical environment which will please hothouse and room exotic.
But actually are different and on the conditions, being divided into compositions of two types: The dry created from succulents and cactuses (in the West designers most often call them the Victorian compositions).
It is the simplest in the creation and leaving a type of terrariums for flowers. Among them mountain and desert landscapes, minimalist terrarium meet the one and only succulent and more complex compositions. The damp or tropical intended for whimsical and hygrophilous plants. They can be monotype — for the blossoming plants or forest (to imitate a forest landscape). Sometimes, in which special plant species grow call in their honor.
So were published in the dictionary by flower growers — in which grow up rare species of orchids (especially — views with precious leaves). They are most often equipped with life support systems as orchids need both automatic watering, and effect of a decrease in nighttime temperature, and a stable humidity of the air.
And to create also that, and other types of composition it is possible in a literal sense in the same container. Everything will depend only on the soil, plants, and leaves. Distinguish and by the size. Of course, and today at offices and big houses create flower show-windows — the large designs equipped on a window sill in the form of the glass box which two sides replace glass and a window sill, or even more difficult huge, more similar to the separate rooms behind glass dividing space (huge “aquariums for plants”).
All of them create a difficult ecosystem from tens of plants and with specific conditions which it is possible to call a garden behind glass, or the piece of the wild nature concluded in a huge show-window. But flower show-windows and such big terrariums for flowers — it is rather luxury goods, than available means to introduce a wildlife piece to the house. And here mini-terrariums with plants — they now at the peak of popularity.
The compact, elegant and universal, always perceived as something exotic, these small islands of the wild nature in an interior seem the mini-garden concluded in the glass, magnificent small ornament and by a surprising miracle. And then the vessel with plants is less, especially touching the terrariums seems. Pleasure from the contemplation of mini not smaller, than from admiring by any colorful garden behind glass. And it will be suitable even for the tiniest rooms.
Terrarium with violets
On decorative effect also are very different. Some — the peculiar oases of nature in the house imitating wild landscapes. Others have absolutely other purposes — to achieve stylistic expressiveness and bigger decorative effect, but not authenticity. The terrariums from the stylistic point of view happen:
- Decorative in which various accessories and plants serve achievement of the maximum showiness and in which lines, color, style, and a form are not less important than plants;
- The Natural, imitating natural landscapes and typical combinations of plants; embody the whole mountain, forest or desert landscapes.
The garden which is not demanding cares
A common feature for all types for flowers is the simplicity of leaving. Even the most whimsical cultures in them demand only the minimum care. At the closed damp advantage in comparison with open cultivation especially strongly is shown:
- under glass, dust will not get and there is no need to wipe leaves;
- moisture does not evaporate thanks to what the high humidity is maintained by the minimum, very rare waterings;
- it is possible to leave terrariums bravely not only for several days but also for several weeks;
- care comes down to the maintenance of the purity of the outer side of the glass and periodic elementary hygienic procedures.
Is open for hygrophilous plants, with openings, then leaving becomes a little more intensive. But also he submits to the rules turning into one of the best methods of cultivation (care of plants in a terrarium nevertheless is simpler, than in a usual pot):
Watering is carried out in the process of soil drying-out. For succulents, even in the summer, he carries out once a week, and for mosses and hygrophilous plants, it is possible to provide the system of auto watering. Spraying of leaves is necessary for an open mini for tropical types, but it is not necessary for plants-succulents at all.
Other leaving comes down to the maintenance of the purity of glass, airing of completely closed for flowers, to a removal of too long, damaged and dry branches and leaves.
Except for single-crop, are not replaced: as soon as to plants it becomes close, they are just transferred to separate capacities or a greenhouse, and is created with new “participants”. Ready, from a set or the mini made with own hands, are equally fine.
Creation of mini-terrariums for flowers — a matter of taste and aesthetic preferences. To decorate the house, it is possible and to get it all ready in shops of decor and to address the interior designer or the florist and to make a mini-garden independently. And, the last option not only fascinating but also opens unique opportunities for creativity.
It is possible or buys the ready set consisting of plants and all necessary materials or to buy different components separately, creating own unique terrariums. And if desired and some experience it is possible to create a landscape terrarium and by means of make-shifts.
4 obligatory components of any mini-terrariums
- Capacity, or glass basis. It can really be any. From glass round vases to simple bowls and even cans. Everything depends on your taste, preferences of plants and desirable style. In the Victorian terrariums used special glass caps which densely were established on wooden or other blanks. But today the range of capacities is not limited only to authentic vessels. Vases, banks, flasks, decorative containers, large bottles and even aquariums of any size — any glass capacity can become a shelter for composition from plants. And for this purpose the opening from above or sideways for air access is not obligatory even that at it was at least small, most often made narrower. For tropical use completely closed options without openings, and to others, it is always possible to pick up a glass cover.
- Drainage, the crushed wood or activated carbon (for prevention of distribution of mold and bacteria, absorption of toxins from water and substrate) and the soil (most often — a mix of sand and special highly nourishing substrate for tropical cultures and sand or decorative soil for succulent plants). Decorative soil, or filler — from pieces of bark to decorative pebble, stones, aquarian soil, sand, shells, and other bulks. It often uses not only for the top decorative layer but also changing layers substrate, replacing drainage.
- Plants which you want to grow up. For tropical and forest terrariums use asparagus, an ivy, begonias, an Acorus, tiny ferns, Codiaeums, a selaginella, a Chamaedorea, etc. plants. For dessert and mountain, landscapes choose other cultures — threshed, different types of cactuses, an agave, a kalanchoe, адромискус, to a malefor, a borodnik, a grinoviya, to a dicue, a euphorbia and so forth. Perfectly also mosses prove in terrariums, but for them, it is necessary to provide in design the container with water for the creation of the crude environment. Decorative elements and additions — from corals, stones, a moss, branches, cones, dry inflorescences, minerals, sinks, ceramic figures to another natural (and not really) a decor.
- The process of production of a terrarium is simple and corresponds to its components: after preparation and disinfection of capacity it is filled at first drainage and substrate, stacking coal either between them, or on a bottom, and then and finishing creation of “base” decorative soil. Plants land accurately, after careful washing of roots, in the small poles made any convenient tool. After landing they are watered or sprayed, and then place all decorative elements of composition, creating the mini-garden in a glass vessel.
The perfect place for a flower terrarium
The correct placement — the whole of art. To such compositions it is necessary to treat literally as the brightest decor, placing them on the most visible and “crown” place. The main reference points in the arrangement for flowers are favorite vacation spots and leisure.
Most often (and on traditional approach — and it is almost exclusive), place terrariums on a dining table and coffee tables. But it is possible to use also original decisions: to place vessels on a wall the whole series; to suspend them like amply at a wall; to use suspended vessels as a space divider.
In advance think over decor and prepare all components of future work. The picturesque corner of natural vegetation will change your what interior, and the single finest flower can become an original gift to a housewarming.
DIY Terrariums Ideas
Glass jars of various forms – a great option.
Prepare all necessary components: soil, drainage, moss, favorite flowers, and plants.
Surprising fauna now at your house!
Council: you do not keep in a terrarium of living beings. They can spoil plants, and, above all – to be messengers of bacteria.
Stone slopes, mountains, and rocks are so naturally presented in this aquarium that creates a feeling of presence.
Delightful decor in an interior design
Multilayered waves from sand and soil
Add more paints
The blossoming heart
Filling minimum – an impression maximum!
Flower in the bank – not banal surprise by the Birthday
One more option of a vessel for a terrarium – a graceful jug
Natural decor in “a white cloud”
The unexpected decision – a terrarium in a beautiful wattled handbag
Use blue food coloring for toning of transparent glass.
Stone in a leading role
Terrarium in a cage
Tin disks as the capacity for a terrarium – the creative idea for a unique exterior
Charming flora in a transparent drop
Welcome to a wildlife lodge!
The matchless idea – to use kitchenware for a terrarium
The nature in a glass
The most unusual table layout
Plot from the fairy tale in your cup
The nature in a winter fur coat behind glass
You only imagine how different can be options of use of a terrarium! Example of they is this exclusive delightful jewelry.
And even in a bulb, there will be a town for your terrarium
Wonderful ball for a New Year tree
The nature in jars for spices
Such decoration of a holiday table will be remembered for a long time!
Be the focus of attention – a cactus
Vegetable life in a desk lamp
A bigger affection is caused by suspended terrariums.
These soaring transparent flasks create an effect of weightlessness of tremendous ornamental plants.
The unique table in the form of a terrarium will be the center of attention and a matchless element of the decor of your house.
And finally, several councils for leaving and filling of a terrarium:
- Give preference to tropical plants. The bright and there is enough steady against moisture.
- Watering approximately time in 1-2 weeks is necessary for plants in an open terrarium (for cactuses enough once a month).
- It is simpler to contain closed terrarium, but it is necessary to air periodically in order to avoid condensate.
- Regularly delete the weeds which ached or the withering plants.
- The daylight is necessary for a terrarium. Put it in a corner with enough indirect beams.